By: Zack Duvall
In an open display of defiance to western powers, particularly the United States, Iran held a 3-day military exercise involving the use of artillery, tanks, helicopters, and various rockets the Iranian military would deploy in a wartime scenario that came to a conclusion Tuesday.
“The enemy should not be mistaken in its assessments, and it will receive a strong slap in the face if it does make such a mistake.” General Mohammad Pakpour, the commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard’s ground forces, said in a statement released by semi-official Iranian media outlets.
The exercises come just weeks after a Jan. 29th ballistic missile test drew strong condemnations from U.S. and western officials, and the Trump administration put “Iran on notice” as well as stated that Tehran was “playing with fire” by continuing with ballistics tests banned as a result of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
“The message of these exercises to our enemies, is to not do anything stupid.” A defiant Pakpour told reporters for Tasim, one of the semi-official Iranian news agencies reporting on the story.
The Iranian war games also included the testing of what Iranian officials called “advanced rockets” as well the use of drone technology.
The display and showcasing of such rockets as the Fateh 110, an Iranian made missile capable of targeting Israel from within Lebanon, is especially concerning in light of comments made by Hezbollah leaders about the missile’s potential usage against Israel and Hossien Dalirian, a reporter who wrote a commentary carried by Tasim on the issue.
“Since Lebanon’s Hezbollah is one of the chief holders of the Fateh 110, this missile is one of the main alternatives for targeting the Dimona installation.”
The Dimona installation Dalirian is referring to in the written piece, is one of Israel’s nuclear facilities that houses an active nuclear reactor.
Hezbollah leader, Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, said in a statement last Thursday that his grou, who many credit with helping to end the Israeli occupation of Lebanon, already had the ability to launch strikes on the region.
White House officials say that the President and Security leaders had been briefed on the matter and were preparing what they called “swift and effective actions” against Tehran.